Now that I have made the return to running, the feeling of inadequacy has unquestionably interfered with my mind-set. After an additional round of blood work yesterday(I’m still “a little bit pregnant” – Hcg level is 31), we went for an afternoon run in City Park. My body felt willing to continue running after 3 miles, but it felt too difficult mentally to keep going. I didn’t feel like making another loop around the same scenery. I know that the mind has great influence over the body, and I have read that it is possible to talk the brain into allowing the body to go further and faster even when the brain wants to give up. Still, I talked myself into stopping after the 3 miles.
In an effort to improve my running and sustain mental intensity, guess what??? I made a list!
- Pep Talk – Tell yourself you can push through it. Remind yourself how good you’ll feel when you’re finished.
- Use a Mantra – “Go, go. Push. Push.” “You are strong.”
- Find a Quote – (The one below will be my inner motivation when I need it most.)
- “Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn’t matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle… when the sun comes up, you’d better be running.”
- Break Up The Run – Divide up the run into smaller segments. Visualize starting a new run with a fresh body at the beginning of each segment.
Now, I’m ready for my next run!